Settling A New Community
Username:    Password:    Remember me  
MainLogo
» Home» Forum»
Forums
Anno Fans :: Forums :: Technical :: Technical (Bugs and crashes)

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Attempt to play... nothing happens
Moderators: Cyberken, BTOG46, Imperial Dane, Adoxx
Author Post
Bainn
Fri Jan 15 2010, 05:37AM
Registered Member #1360
System specs:

Windows XP
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
E8500 @ 3.16GHz
2.75GB of RAM

NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTX

DirectX 9

When I loaded the game a couple of errors stated the following...

'CRC error: The file C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Related Designs\ANNO 1404\maindata\Data4.rda doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor.'

Not sure what exactly this means, but I purchased my copy from a reliable retail store.

When I attempt to play the game after downloading a few patches, nothing happens other than a half second display of the patch loading window.

1) I've read about the engine.ini issues and tried playing around with it (ie updating details to <DirectXVersion>9</DirectXVersion> from <DirectXVersion>0</DirectXVersion>.
2) I uninstalled the game and reinstalled. No change and same error messages when loading the game.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bainn of Banes
dmdilks
Fri Jan 15 2010, 02:39PM

Registered Member #31
Are you connected to the internet? This game when you first run the game it has to actavite. There is only one patch 1.1 and do have the right Language installed. Plus are you video drivers up to date. Do you have any other problems with any games.

When installing the game after it installs the directx and it finish. It should ask you if you want to check the video yes. It will bring you to a box on the screen that will ask you about the readme & start the game. After that it should bring to the internet right.

Uninstall the game and try these step.

1 Install the game
2 It will ask to setup the graphics. Click OK and it will set that up for you. It will bring you to a box on the screen that will ask you about the readme & start the game close that.
3 It than will bring you to the internet and close that out.
4 Install the Patch 1.1
5 Start the game NO KEY and NO DRM Actavition needed.

If that doesn't work I would bring it back and get another one. The disk could be bad. Plus that error could be a few things and it could even be one of the drives causing the problem.

http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/

GA-EX58-DS4 Intel Core i7 Q930 Nehalem 2.80GHz LGA 1366 G.SKILL 6GB(3 x 2GB) DDR3 (PC3 12800)Triple Channel 1-SAPPHIRE HD 4870 2GB 128gb SSD SILVERSTONE 700W - Win7 64 & Vista 64 Antec 900 case
BTOG46
Fri Jan 15 2010, 04:38PM
BTOG46

Registered Member #2
That CRC error just means that your DVD drive has problems reading the disc when installing.

If the disc is new, and clean with no obvious damage, it's more likely your drive that's the problem, and may be in need of replacement, the lens may be dirty, or more commonly, the laser focus isn't as sharp as when new, this is important when reading dual layer discs, as the laser has to refocus for the second layer.

I've had the same error a few times over the years, and invariably, fitting a new drive fixed things.

If when installing, you clicked on "ignore" and continued with the install, some vital files will be missing, and that could be why the game isn't working.

Bainn
Sat Jan 16 2010, 03:36AM
Registered Member #1360
Thanks guys for the prompt response. I also raised the question with tech support and this is what they suggested...

'Hello Bainn,

Please try installing the game in safe mode, following the instructions here below.

Create a new folder on the hard drive
Now double click 'My Computer' and right click on the drive with the game
in.
From the menu choose 'Open' , you should now see the contents of the disk.
Now from the menu bar choose 'Edit' --> 'Select All' and then 'Edit' -->
'Copy'
Now open the folder you created and go to 'Edit' -->'Paste' .
You will need to repeat this process for all disks and place them into the
same folder.

Next reboot the computer into windows 'Safe Mode' to do this do the
following:
As soon as the BIOS screen loads, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard.
Do so until the 'Windows Advanced Options' menu appears.
If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard
error" message. If this happens, restart the computer and try again.
Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, select 'Safe Mode' and then press
Enter.

In Safe Mode run the setup.exe from the folder you copied the CD/DVD to.
This will allow the game to install.

If this does not resolve the issue then please have the game replaced at the point of purchase.'

Bainn of Banes
Bainn
Sat Jan 16 2010, 03:38AM
Registered Member #1360
I followed this word for word, but the error remained. So I went back to the point of purchase and got a replacement installation disk. I'm loading it at present, and sad to report the issue remains. I'm going to try dmdilks' suggestion now and will report back. I'll additionally advise what tech support have to say, just incase someone else finds the information useful.

Bainn of Banes
enlitend
Sat Jan 16 2010, 09:14PM

Registered Member #104
Hi Bainn

If you have an extra CD/DVD drive laying around, why don't you try with another drive.

If I were you, I would try to install the game with another CD/DVD drive first to rule out the cause, then check your RAM and last the Hard drive.

+++ Anno1404 campaign gameplay walkthrough +++
Chapter 1| Chapter 2| Chapter 3| Chapter 4
Chapter 5| Chapter 6| Chapter 7| Chapter 8

Bainn
Sun Jan 17 2010, 05:01AM
Registered Member #1360
Great news! It's now fixed. After replacing my existing copy, and running some similar errors again, I wasn't hopeful, but it worked!

Thank you to everyone who responded. Really appreciate it.

Bainn of Banes

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF